Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Why this blog?
Part 2: In the footsteps of Julie

The bright little thing (blt from now on...oh dear. I have a thing for acronyms) had only been in Cambridge for four days before she secured funding from her College for this project, so super kudos to her! 

I'm not surprised really, because her older sister attacks tasks with an identical vigour. My involvement with ZINE actually stems from my connection with sister blt, who is also a PhD student in my research group in the Department of Chemistry (she is more of a biologist, but I am *definitely* a chemist). 


Seeing the pair of them in action is like watching the world in mirror images, in everything from their animated Geordie-accented story telling down to the way they apply their mascara, and I have a feeling that mummy blt completes the trio. But I digress...


So sister blt asked me if I wanted to do some writing, and I was like, "Oh I have so much work at the moment...". I've set a deadline for myself in the lab, and with Freshers Week coming up I'll be busy running around college looking after the new grads. 


But in addition to her perfected organisational skills, sister blt is also very good at convincing people to do things so I said, "Well, I suppose I could write a review on Jamie's new cookbook!". Another digression ahead.


I LOVE Jamie (we are on a first name basis).


Having recently seen the film Julie & Julia, sister blt joked that I could call the article "Jamie & Amy". 


You see, Julie & Julia follows the story of two women in different times - Julia Child, a bored middle aged wife-of-a-diplomat (I also like to over-use hyphens) who ends up with her own TV cooking show after she decides to go to cooking school while her husband is based in post-WWII France; and Julie, a modern day "lowly cubical worker" who decides to cook 524 of Julia's recipes in 365 days and blogs about it. 
A true story.



So in Amy & Jamie, I am Julie and Jamie is Julia. 

The fact that Jamie's and my name rhyme indicates to me that this is meant to happen aha! And to top it off, Julie-the-blogger's character is played by Amy Adams, what are the odds?! (Aaaaand, my sister's name is Julie, but even I have to admit that this particular link is a bit dodgy...!). 

I did consider changing the spelling of my name to "Amie" for the purposes of this project, but deemed it unnecessary (oh boy, but then I could make a connection between Julia Child's French experience and the French spelling of my name. Ok, someone slap me.). 


I'll probably engineer even more parallels once I've seen the film!





No comments:

Post a Comment